The History of the MPC
In 1939, a group of film bookers gathered at the Dixon Cafeteria on Eighth Avenue to form a Social Club for local people in the film business. A dinner celebrating the formation of the Club and the installation of its first group of officers was held at the Hotel Astor in 1940 with Henny Youngman as Master of Ceremonies. And that was the beginning of the Motion Picture Bookers Club – almost 80 years ago!
Over the years, the Club has grown to include people from all areas of the motion picture industry - exhibition, distribution, advertising and other related businesses. Presently, the newly named Motion Picture Club is a thriving organization of 350 film business professionals throughout the country. We still have social functions to foster camaraderie among members of the film community. However, our main focus is on raising funds for film industry - related charities. Each year the MPC makes substantial contributions to Variety - The Children's Charity, The Will Rogers Memorial Fund, The Motion Picture Pioneers, Rising Ground, and The Ronald McDonald House.
We continue to sponsor lots of annual events, all to support these charities we hold so dear.
Who We Support